BGCI Member: No
About the Dyrham Park
The Dyrham Park estate is situated on the Cotswold scarp slope and comprises, as well as the William and Mary house, a Deer Park mainly to the east of the house, a garden to the west of the house and some peripheral woodlands. The elevation of the property varies from 200m (656ft) at the east end of the Deer Park to 120m (393ft) in the West Garden. Little remains of William Blathwayt's magnificent 17th-century water garden at Dyrham Park completed in 1704 and captured by Kip in his engraving of 1712 except the avenues at the east end of the Deer Park and the two lakes and cascade in the West Garden. The water garden in the amphitheatre adjacent to the east front of the house was remodelled by Charles Harcourt-Masters in the late 18th C into the parkland so fashionable at that period. The West Garden is currently being transformed into a 21st C Garden with echoes of its historic past recreating some of the features shown on Kip's engraving.
Gloucestershire SN14 8ER United Kingdom