BGCI Member: No
About the Lyme Park
A colourful oasis in an otherwise rugged landscape in the foothills of the Pennines. The gardens represent 600 years of ownership by the Legh family, but largely restored to its mid-Victorian splendour, with bold spring and summer bedding schemes in the sunken Italianette parterre and on the formal terraces. While the formal panel beds display annuals, including Penstemon "Rubicundus", first used at Lyme in 1906, the long border below the orangery terrace is planted with perennials following a scheme drawn up by Graham Stuart Thomas in 1966. The Orangery, designed by Lewis Wyatt, contains camellias that were probably introduced in the 1860s. The superbly presented Edwardian rose garden was restored in 1995, and the programme continued with restoration of the "English Garden", based on Wyatt's early 19th-century design with period plants, completed in 2001. A lovely reflection lake, rhododendron walk, a ravine stream garden, a collection of plants raised by RT.Hon. Vicary Gibbs, large herbaceous borders re-designed by Graham Stuart Thomas in1965/66 and many lawns. Paths suitable for wheelchair users and pushchairs have recently been laid.
Cheshire SK12 2NX United Kingdom