Horticultural Intern - Bartram's Garden 2017 Internship, Philadelphia, PA
Title: Horticulture Intern
Position Time Frame: Starts April 2017-September 2017
Hours: 30-40 hours per week (this is a paid internship)
Bartram’s Garden seeks a full time horticultural Intern for the 2017 season. Candidates should have a foundation of working knowledge of general horticulture and plant care to work as part of the horticulture team in all aspects of garden care and maintenance throughout a 45 acre historic public garden. Candidates who have work experience in the horticulture field, relevant degree/certification, or are enrolled in a horticulture program are preferred.
Responsibilities Would Include:
General garden work and planning: Planting, pruning, watering, weeding, garden maintenance, and assistance to garden staff on projects and specific directed work in a variety of landscapes and garden areas including; historic gardens, nursery, farm, meadow, wetlands, and key public garden areas. Establish overall goals and work plans with head gardener and staff.
Special landscape projects: Work with horticulture staff and project partners to help establish and maintain new and newly established landscape projects; such as assisting with transplanting, planting, and maintenance of a large scale garden restoration project to get underway in spring of 2017.
Grounds maintenance: General grounds maintenance in and around the garden including; mowing and small equipment use such as blowers and string trimmers, general weeding, mulching, edging, and other grounds and garden maintenance tasks as directed.
Volunteers and Visitors: Candidates will be asked to occasionally work with volunteers to accomplish specific seasonal tasks and engage visitors as well. Working with Bartram's Garden staff to coordinate, establish, and execute volunteer projects. Candidates may be asked to have some monthly weekend flexibility in their schedule.
Nursery Work: Assist with nursery care and maintenance; watering, weeding plant pots, up-potting/transplanting, tagging, propagation assistance, and nursery area maintenance.
Programs and Events: Work with Bartram staff to help prepare for, set-up/clean-up, and assist during specific programs and events; such as annual spring and fall plant sales, festivals, fundraising events, and community events.
• Minimum high school degree. Candidates with a horticultural degree, certifications, or currently in degree/certification program are preferred. As well as candidates with prior relevant work experience.
• Candidates MUST have a valid driver’s license or state I.D. and residency in the City of Philadelphia.*
• Good interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with the staff and public will be required.
• Ability to work as part of a team as well as self- direction, organization, and time management to effectively work without close supervision.
• The ability to operate equipment and tools safely and efficiently including; power and hand tools, saws, and other equipment.
• Must be willing to work in all seasonal weather conditions and occasional weekends.
• Must be able to lift at least 40 pounds.
*This is a city funded internship through the Parks and Recreation Department. Candidate selected by Bartram’s Garden will be required to complete Parks and Recreation/City of Philadelphia application process. Hourly pay rate determined by city (usually - per hour).
Please email (preferred) or send resumes and a brief letter of interest to:
C/O Bartram’s Garden
54th Street and Lindbergh Blvd.
Philadelphia Pa 19143
Closing date: 17th May 2017