Project Senior Executive, The new Sharjah Botanic Garden, United Arab Emirates
This posting is no longer current. Please check out our Jobs & Opportunities Noticeboard for the latest postings.
The NEW SHARJAH BOTANIC GARDEN
Sharjah, the United Arab Emirates
Position: Project Senior Executive
A project to design and build a new 650,000 square meters premier Botanic Garden has just started in the Emirate of Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates. The new Sharjah Botanic Garden (SBG) is envisioned to have a vital role in conservation and restoration of the botanic diversity, public understanding and appreciation of plants and the natural environment, state of the art scientific research on local and regional plant species, and edu-recreational opportunities for all members of the community.
The Project’s Steering Committee is inviting applications for the senior position of “Project Senior Executive”. The position would be an exciting opportunity for a horticulture professional with significant experience in the establishment and operation of botanic gardens. The successful candidate will work both independently and/or collaboratively with the Steering Committee, the scientific and administrative staff, and other internal and external stakeholders to ensure that goals of the project are achieved on time and within budget.
The site of the New Sharjah Botanic Garden is within the outer perimeter of the city of Sharjah, which itself is immediately bordering the city of Dubai.
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Chairman of the Steering Committee, the Project Senior Executive is expected to execute the following tasks:
• Management of and participation in the development of the project brief that addresses all aspects of SBG’s vision and mission.
• Management of the tendering, evaluation, selection, and execution processes of the different phases of the development and establishment of SBG as designed including: infrastructure facilities, grounds clearing and trail building; landscaping with native habitat displays and amenity planting under the over-arching themes of plant conservation; creation of nursery space and preliminary screening plantings; display glasshouses; experimental research platforms.
• Develop partnerships with regional biodiversity research institutes, government agencies and protected area authorities to assist with the management of natural habitats including those that contain rare and endangered species.
• Demonstrable leadership skills in settings similar to large botanic gardens and parks.
• Substantial project management knowledge and skills in the field horticulture, biodiversity, or ecological conservation.
• In-depth understanding of the scientific role and purpose of botanic gardens, and their functional operations.
• A minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience after the bachelor’s degree is required.
• Ph.D. or Master’s degree with proven research record in Botany, Plant Science or related fields is desirable.
• Familiarity with the diversity of the flora and ecological systems of Arabia and the Middle East in general is advantageous.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
Salary and benefits: Competitive and attractive salary package commensurate with the qualifications and relevant experience of the successful candidate.
Address: All applications and a cover letter must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 15 May 2017.