Plant Conservation Intern - Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
This posting is no longer current. Please check out our Jobs & Opportunities Noticeboard for the latest postings.
TITLE: Plant Conservation Intern
STATUS: Full-Time (10 weeks)
REPORTS TO: Director of Conservation Programs
The internship program in Applied Plant Conservation at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden provides an opportunity for students and recent graduates to gain exposure in five areas of our plant conservation program: field studies, herbarium, seed conservation, restoration, and nursery programs. Interns will rotate through these five programs and will gain an understanding in plant conservation, through hands-on experiential learning, as well as six education workshops that we will provide. This is a seasonal position (400 hours total).
• California Plant Diversity and Climate Change
• Field Techniques and Plant Identification
• Seed Conservation
• Conservation Genetics
• Horticulture and restoration
• Career Panel
Duties and Responsibilities
• Participates in conservation projects between RSABG and other government agencies or private contractors, including seed collecting, seed bulking, seed processing, general botanical surveys, rare plant inventory and monitoring, invasive species surveys, plant propagation and maintenance of living plants in RSABG’s nursery.
• Assists the herbarium curatorial staff with various aspects of herbarium management, including preparation of plant specimens for inclusion in the herbarium.
• Assists with record keeping and data management.
• Identifies field collections, enters specimen data, and generates specimen labels using interactive computer-based system.
• Assists in preparation of reports and other documents for field collections and contract projects for submission to government agencies and contractors.
• Assists conservation staff on various plant conservation projects as directed.
• Assists in supervising and working with volunteers.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Coursework towards a degree in the biological sciences required; Bachelor of Science in botany, biology, or equivalent environmental science preferred.
• Ability to follow instructions, work successfully with others, and work independently with minimal supervision is critical.
• Strong writing and verbal skills, the ability to type, and computer skills (word processing, databases, and simple graphics) are essential. Advanced computer skills are desirable; familiarity with databases is a plus.
• Familiarity with GIS and/or other mapping software (ArcView, Topo, DeLorme), and a working knowledge of basic taxonomic principles and characteristics of major plant families and California flora desired.
• Ability to conduct fieldwork under a variety of environmental conditions is required.
• Must have physical strength and endurance sufficient to carry field equipment and supplies and hike over steep, rugged terrain.
• Ability to lift 40 lbs is required.
• Ability to hike, walk, and stand for an extended period of time.
Qualified candidates please send cover letter and resume by May 26, 2017 to:
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Attention: Joy England
1500 N College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
Fax to (909) 626-3489