Horticulture Instructor, Horticulture Centre of the Pacific, Victoria, BC, Canada
This posting is no longer current. Please check out our Jobs & Opportunities Noticeboard for the latest postings.
Instructor – Part-time, Casual
Department: Pacific Horticulture College Reports To: College Director Start Date: Dependent on course scheduling
Hours: Varies; normally 3 to 6.5 hours of daytime, evening, or weekend instruction per week with courses lasting from two weeks to several weeks in duration
Rate of Pay: - per hour of instructional time
The Horticulture Centre of the Pacific (HCP) is a multi-dimensional not-for-profit society situated on 43 hectares in Saanich. The HCP is home to nine acres of demonstration gardens, a conservation area, a horticulture library, gift shop and plant sales, weddings and other events, and a wide range of youth, community, and professional education.
Established in 1987, the Pacific Horticulture College (PHC) offers full-time and part-time training opportunities in all four levels of the Landscape Horticulturist Apprenticeship. The PHC is designated by the Private Institutions Training Branch (PTIB) and is an Industry Training Authority (ITA) designated training provider. The mission of the PHC is to provide excellence in horticulture training, enabling students to maximize employment opportunities while encouraging environmental stewardship of green space.
The PHC is expanding its network of casual instructors with expertise in particular subject areas corresponding to the courses within the four apprenticeship levels. Relevant subject areas include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Soil science
- Hardscape construction (e.g. patios, steps, retaining walls, landscape lighting)
- Environmental stewardship
- Irrigation and drainage
- Business practices
- Landscape design
- Job planning
- Tools and equipment
- Small engine mechanics
- Green infrastructure (e.g. rain gardens, green roofs, living walls)
- Urban food production
- Softscape maintenance including pruning
More detailed information about the different subject areas may be found on the ITA website: http://www.itabc.ca/program/horticulturist-landscape
Instructors are hired on a per-course basis depending on their subject area of expertise. Once hired, instructors are responsible for teaching based on the provided ITA and PHC learning objectives and will assess students according to these objectives. Instructors are also responsible for course preparation and design of learning and assessment activities, communicating with students by email through the duration of the course, working with the PHC staff to ensure students adhere to college policies, and grading student work and/or performance.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills · Able to explain difficult concepts to a diverse group of students · Demonstrate patience and respect when working with students · Excellent organization and time management · Proficiency in subject area of expertise · Demonstrate safe work practices
· Minimum two years of post-secondary teaching experience strongly preferred · Minimum five years of industry experience in subject area of instruction strongly preferred Education · Degree, diploma, or certificate in subject area of instruction; Certificate of Qualification or Red Seal in Landscape Horticulture or equivalent preferred · Instructional Skills Workshop or equivalent is required; Provincial Instructor Diploma or equivalent preferred
Please submit a current resume that includes evidence of post-secondary teaching experience and experience in the area(s) of subject matter expertise to email@example.com by Friday September 29, 2017 at 4:30pm.