Visitor Services Coordinator, UCLA Botanical Garden
Visitor Services Coordinator
UCLA Mildred E. Mathias Botanical Garden
To apply go to https://hr.mycareer.ucla.edu and search for Job Requisition #26613
Applications will be reviewed starting September 13th and interested applicants are encouraged to apply by this date. If the UCLA posting is expired please send cover letter, resume, references and salary history to Evan Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mildred E. Mathias Botanical Garden (MEMBG) at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) is a 7.5-acre botanical garden located on the UCLA campus. The Garden, with its extensive collection of subtropical, desert and Mediterranean plants has long been an important component of the undergraduate biology curriculum. For the past several years, a major initiative to improve the infrastructure and raise the profile of the Garden has been underway. Earlier this year, a major milestone was passed in this effort with the completion of the La Kretz Garden Pavilion, a visitor center, classroom and event space.
MEMBG is seeking an energetic individual who is passionate about connecting plants and people to fill the newly created Visitor Services Coordinator position. This position will work closely with the Garden Director and Assistant Director to implement and build upon a range a programs that enhance the MEMBG visitor experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee garden space rental program.
- Oversee K-12 student tour program.
- Assist in the development of online resources and other outreach materials.
- Manage and expand the Gardens social media presence.
- In collaboration with the Director and Assistant Director, help to design, develop and implement a wide range of events and public offerings at the Garden.
- Provide administrative support for the Director and Assistant Director as needed.
- Bachelor’s in horticulture, botany, biology, museum science, education or other related field.
- Knowledge or desire to learn about plants and a strong interest in sharing this information with the public.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience with databases and Microsoft Office Programs and social media sites, and ability to learn new software as needed.
- Ability to work independently and in a group setting, high level of attention to detail, eagerness to learn and a sense of humor.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience with event planning.
- Experience in website design (wordpress).
- Experience chaperoning or teaching K-12 students.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.