Assistant Horticulturist, The Living Rainforest, Thatcham
This posting is no longer current. Please check out our Jobs & Opportunities Noticeboard for the latest postings.
The Living Rainforest currently has a vacancy for an assistant horticulturist with the plant department. This is a rare opportunity to work with unusual and exotic plants.
Trust for Sustainable Living is a registered charity based near Newbury, Berkshire. At our visitor centre, The Living Rainforest, the tropical plant collection is contained within three tropical glasshouses consisting of more than 600 species, many of which are rare or endangered in the wild. These include aroids, calatheas, ficuses, gingers, heliconiums and many others. There is also an outdoor exotic plant themed garden.
• This is primarily a hands-on practical role, working with a small group of volunteers on a diverse range of tropical and temperate plants reporting directly to the Chief Horticulturist.
• You will be expected to assist with basic plant care such as watering and pruning, propagation, exhibit construction, informal education and much more in this diverse role.
• You will assist in the supervision and training of volunteers, interns and work experience students to ensure consistently high standards. You should have some experience of supervising a small team and teaching relevant skills, this need not be in a horticultural setting.
• Applicants should have a minimum 1 year horticultural experience (full time employment)
• Knowledge of tropical and rainforest flora would be preferred.
• Educated to ‘A’ level standard or equivalent including at least one science and must include Maths and English GSCE.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Applicant should be physically fit and able to lift 20kg unassisted, and able to work in a hot climate.
• A full clean driver’s license and own vehicle will be necessary for travel to and from workplace as public transport is limited.
• The Living Rainforest is an equal opportunities employer.
Please send a one page cover letter and CV to Human Resources.
Post: HR Department, The Living Rainforest, Hampstead Norreys, Thatcham, Berkshire RG18 0TN