Below is a list of BGCI's publications and links to download these resources free of charge. Where indicated (with a *), hard copies are also available from our UK or US office. To enquire about a particular publication and costs please contact Liz Smith.
BGCI Members receive 25% discount on all our publications.
Publications Catalogue Index
Use this list to navigate the publications catalogue below.
- European Code of Conduct for Botanic Gardens on Invasive Alien Species (2013)*
- International Agenda for Botanic Gardens in Conservation 2nd Edition (2012)*
- Global Strategy for Plant Conservation: 2011-2020 (English) (2012)*
- Strategie Mondial pour la conservation des Plantes: 2011-2020 (French) (2012)
- Estrategia Mundial para la Conservacion de las Especies Vegetales: 2011-2020 (2012)*
- Gran Canaria Declaration Botanic Gardens Conservation International (2006)
- BGCI and IABG’s Species Recovery Manual Heywood, V., Shaw, K., Harvey-Brown, Y. and Smith, P. (Eds.). (2018).
- From Idea to Realisation – BGCI’s Manual on Planning, Developing and Managing Botanic Gardens Gratzfeld, J. (Ed.) (2016)
- Integrated conservation of tree species by botanic gardens: a reference manual (2012)* (Also available in Spanish)
- A REDD+ manual for botanic gardens, Probert, C., Sharrock, S. and Ali, N. (2011)*
- Methodological recommendations for botanic gardens on the reintroduction of rare and threatened plants, Yu.N. Gorbunov, D.S. Dzybov, Z.E. Kuzmin, I.A. Smirnov (2008)*
- Methodological recommendations for botanic gardens on the reintroduction of rare and threatened plants, Yu.N. Gorbunov, D.S. Dzybov, Z.E. Kuzmin, I.A. Smirnov (2008)* Russian
- A CBD manual for botanic gardens Davis, K. (2008)* English
- A CBD manual for botanic gardens Davis, K. (2008)* Italian
- A CITES Manual for Botanic Gardens (2nd Edition) Oldfield, S. & McGough, N. (Comp.) (2007). Hard copies available in Spanish and Chinese.*
- The Darwin Technical Manual for Botanic Gardens Leadlay E. & Greene, J. (eds, 1998)
- A Handbook for Botanic Gardens on the Reintroduction of Plants to the Wild Akeroyd, J. & Wyse Jackson, P. (eds, 1995)
- BGCI Technical Review: The economic, social and environmental impacts of botanic gardens. Smith, P.P. and Harvey-Brown, Y. (2018).
- BGCI Technical Review: Defining the botanic garden, and how to measure performance and success. Smith, P.P. and Harvey-Brown, Y. (2017). Also available in Chinese and Spanish.
- North American Botanic Garden Strategy for Plant Conservation, 2016-2020. BGCI US. (2016)
- Cycads: A model group for ex situ conservation. BGCI US. (2015)
- Conserving the world's most threatened tree species: A global survey of ex situ collections. Rivers, M., Shaw, K., Beech, E. & Jones, M. (2015)*
- Dry woodlands in Pakistan's Punjab province: piloting restoration of unique yet vanishing natural assets. Gratzfeld, J. and Amin Ulhaq Khan (2015)*
- Global Survey of Ex situ Conifer Collections. Shaw, K. and Hird, A. (2014)*
- Building living plant collections to support conservation. BGCI US. (2014)
- Zelkova - an ancient tree: global status and conservation action Kozlowski, G. and Gratzfeld, J. (2013)*
- Progress report on Target 8 of the Global Strategy for Plant Conservation in the United States. BGCI US. (2013)
- Conserving North America’s Threatened Plants: Progress report on Target 8 of the Global Strategy for Plant Conservation. Kramer, A., A. Hird, K. Shaw, M. Dosmann, and R. Mims. (2011)
- Saving Plants, saving the planet: Botanic gardens and the implementation of GSPC Target 8. Sharrock, S., Hird, A., Kramer, A. and Oldfield, S. (Comp.). (2010)*
- Conserving Europe's threatened plants. Sharrock, S. and Jones, M (2009)*
- Plants and climate change: which future? Hawkins, B, Sharrock, S, & Havens, K (2008)*
- A checklist of the families and genera of vascular plants in cultivation in botanic gardens Cullen, J. & Wyse Jackson, D. (2008)
- Plants for life: Medicinal plant conservation and botanic gardens Hawkins B. (2007)
- Botanic Gardens: using biodiversity to improve human well-being Waylen, K. (2006)*
- The Red List of Zelkova Kozlowski et al. (2018)
- The Red List of Fraxinus Barstow, M., Oldfield, S., Westwood, M., Jerome, D., Beech, E. and Rivers, M. (2018)*
- The Red List of Theaceae Beech, E., Barstow, M. and Rivers, M. (2017)*
- The Red List of US Oaks Jerome, D., Beckman, E., Kenny, L., Wenzell, K., Kua, CS and Westwood, M.
- The Red List of Magnoliaceae Rivers, M., Beech, E., Murphy, L., and Oldfield, S. (2016)*
- A Regional Red List of the Montane Tree Species of the Andes Tejedor Garavito, N. et al. (2014)*
- The Red List of Betulaceae Shaw, K., Stritch, L., Rivers, M., Roy, S., Wilson, B., Govaerts, R. (2014)*
- The Red List of Rhododendrons Gibbs, D. & Chamberlain, D. & Argent, G (2011)*
- The Red List of Mexican Cloud Forest Trees Gonzalez-Espinosa, M. et al. (2011)
- The Red List of Maples Gibbs, D. & Chen, Y. (2010)*
- The Red List of Trees of Central Asia Eastwood, A., Lazkov, G. & Newton, A. (2009)
- Красная книга древесных растений Средней Азии / The Red List of Trees of Central Asia (Russian) Eastwood, A., Lazkov, G. & Newton, A. (2009)
- The Red List of Oaks Oldfield, S. & Eastwood, A. (2007)
- Caring for your community: a manual for botanic gardens Derewnicka, L., Vergou, A., Moussouri, T., and Fernandez Rodriguez, A. (2015)*
- Communities in nature: growing the social role of botanic gardens. Evaluation Report. Executive Summary. Vergou, A. and Willison, J. (2013)*
- Environmental Education in Botanic Gardens: Guidelines for Developing Individual Strategies Willison, J. (2006) Spanish
- Education for Sustainable Development: Guidelines for Action in Botanic gardens Willison, J. (2004) English
PROSPECTUSES AND PR MATERIAL